Saturday, September 22, 2012

Soren the Barn Owl


Here's my beautiful barn owl! I love owls, and was so excited to make this little guy. I read the book Guardians of Ga'hoole and then watched the movie, and then when I learned to crochet I couldn't help but make Soren and some of the other characters. This pattern could also be used to make a normal barn owl.

Soren the Barn Owl
Materials:
G hook
E hook
Cream or white yarn
Light tan yarn
Peach yarn
Grey yarn
8mm black eyes
(optional) White or cream thread


Head/Body (use cream or white yarn, G hook)

1. ch 6 in ring-6
2. 2sc in each st around-12
3. (sc in first st, 2sc in next st) around-18
4. (sc in first 2st, 2sc in next st) around-24
5. sc in each st around-24
6. sc in first 12st, 2sc in next st, sc in last 11st-25
7-11. sc in each sc around-25
12. sc in first 6st, 2sc in next st, sc in next 12st, 2sc in next st, sc in last 5st-27
13-15. sc in each st around-27
16. sc in first 2st, 2sc in next st, sc in next 9st, sk next st, sc in next 3st, sk next st, sc in next 9st, 2sc in last st-27 (BEFORE YOU GO ON, LOOK AT ASSEMBLY!)
17-18. sc in each st around-27
19. sc in first 7st, sk next st, sc in next 11st, sk next st, sc in last 7st-25
20-22. sc in each st around-25
23. sc in first 11st, sk next st, sc in next 5st, sk next st, sc in last 7st-23
24. sc in first 8st, sk next st, sc in next 4st, sk next st, sc in next 4st, sk next st, sc in last 4st-20
25. (sc in next 4st, sk next st) around-16
26. (sc in next 3st, sk next st) around-12
27. (sc in next 2st, sk next st) around-8 slst in beg of next round F/O

Top of Head/Back/Tail (use tan yarn, G hook)

(always sc in 2nd st from hook at beg of each round)

1. ch 6 in ring-6
2. 2sc in each st around-12
3. ch 1, turn, (sc in next st, 2sc in next st) around-18
4. ch 1, turn, (sc in next 2st, 2sc in next st) around-24
5-6. ch 1, turn, sc in next 17st-17
7. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 16st-16
8. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 15st-15
9-12. ch 1, turn,  sc in each st across-15
13. ch 2, turn, sc in next 16st-16
14. ch 2, turn, sc in next 17st-17
15. ch 2, turn, sc in next 18st-18
16. ch 2, turn, sc in next 19st-19
17. ch 1, turn, sc in next 9st, 2sc in next st, sc in last 9st-20
18-21. ch 1, turn, sc in next 20st-20
22. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 19st-19
23. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 18st-18
24. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 8st, sk 1, sc in last 8st-16
25. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 7st, sk 1, sc in last 7st-14
26. (tail starts in this round) ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 13st-13
27. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 12st-12
28. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 11st-11
29. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 10st-10
30. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 9st-9
31. (change back to tan) ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 8st-8
32. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sc in next 8st-8
33. (change back to tan) ch 1, turn, sc in next 8st-8
34. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 5st, sk next st, sc in last st-6

Left Wing (use tan, grey, and cream yarn, G hook, make 1 tan and grey; and the other cream)

(always sc in 2nd st from hook at beg of each round)

1. ch 6; turn, (FLO) sc across-5
2. ch 2, turn, sc in next 7st-6
3. ch 2, turn, sc in next 7st-7
4-7. ch 1, turn, sc in next 7st-7
8. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 6st-6
9-11. ch 1, turn, sc in next 6st-6
12. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 5st-5
13. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sc in next 5st-5
14. (change back to tan) ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 4st-4
15. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sc in next 4st-4
16. (change back to tan) ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 3st-3
17. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 2st-2
18. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in last st-1 F/O 

Right Wing (use tan, grey, and cream yarn, G hook,make 1 tan and grey; and the other cream)

(always sc in 2nd st from hook at beg of each round)

1. ch 6; turn, (FLO) sc across-5
2. ch 2, turn, sc in next 7st-6
3. ch 2, turn, sc in next 7st-7
4-7. ch 1, turn, sc in next 7st-7
8. ch 1, turn, sc in next 5st, sk 1, sc in last st-6
9-11. ch 1, turn, sc in next 6st-6
12. ch 1, turn, sc in next 4st, sk 1, sc in last st-5
13. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sc in next 5st-5
14. (change back to tan) ch 1, turn, sc in next 3st, sk 1, sc in last st-4
15. (change to grey) ch 1, turn, sc in next 4st-4
16. ch 1, turn, sc in next 2st, sk 1, sc in last st-3
17. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in next 2st-2
18. ch 1, turn, sk 1, sc in last st-1 F/O


Legs (use cream or white and peach yarn, G hook) 

1. ch 4 in ring-4
2. sc in first 2st, 2sc in next st, sc in last st-5
3-4. sc in each st around-5
5. (change to peach) BLO- slst in next st, ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook and down, (slst in same st, ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook and down) twice, sc in next st, sk 1, slst in next st, ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook and down, slst in same st, sc in last st F/O

Assembly:
This is where it gets tricky.  Sew with thread or yarn. Before you finish the head/body, (putting the first st in the back) slst or embroidery (I used slst) the heart around his face using tan yarn.  Then embroidery beak just above bottom middle of heart.  Place black 8mm eyes in head a little above beak.  Embroidery tan yarn around eyes.  After all parts are made, sew wings onto sides of head/back/tail.  Sew top of head/back/tail onto head/body.  On top of head/back/tail, sew around to round 26, where tail starts.  Sew across above round 26.  Then sew legs on bottom of body.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.


Soren the character belongs to Kathryn Lasky, but the pattern belongs to me.

 



45 comments:

  1. I was wondering where the directions are for the cream color on the insides of the wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the same pattern as the tan wings.

      Delete
  2. It says; left wing, make one tan and grey and one cream! Also for right wing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you make one tan and one cream for each side. Then you sew the tan and the cream together.

      (Tan + Cream = One Wing)

      Delete
  3. this is beautiful thank u for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Barn Owl... Looks like Soren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont understand step 3 it says 12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! It should have said 18, not 12.

      Delete
  7. Its ok :) i was like no nd started over about 3x lol thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. do i carry on doing FLO throughout the whole wing? or only the foundation chain?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a FB page ? This is just adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by FB you mean FaceBook, then no I do not. But I am on Etsy.

      Delete
  10. Thank you so very much for sharing such a wonderful pattern, he is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So #1 when it chains 6, 6 thats your first row for the ring, and then you add two stitches two make 12 for row two. Is that technically your first row of stitches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say 'ch 6 in ring' I mean you put (work) 6sc into the ring (aka-'magic ring'). If you do not know how to make a ring, then you could do ch3, then join to make ring, then sc 6 in ring.

      To sum it all up, you have to have a 6sc circle for the first row of stitches. Then you can move on to the next row.

      Delete
  12. He is perfect. I have been searching hi and low for one just like this for my son. He will be in heaven once I have secretly made it for him. Absolutely superb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure what you mean by FLO, I've never seen that instruction on a pattern before. This is absolutely adorable! I have 2 purposes to make them. My daughter LOVES owls, and I am a volunteer on the Owl Creek Reservoir Commission. We are restoring the reservoirs and taking bake nature. I am going to make a few to raffle off at our benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never mind my previous comment, I had a brain glitch! lol. I know what FLO means. I can be such a dork at times!
    But I do love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for posting this pattern. They are amazing.
    This is my first crocheted animal and I'm having trouble with the top of head/back/tail piece. Rounds 1-2 are in the round and then rounds 3-4 say to ch 1 and turn, creating a notch. What is the purpose of this notch? From the pictures included, I can't see it.
    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Basically, what I was doing with steps 3-4, was trying to make it look like the rest of his back and tail. Unfortunately, the only way I could do this was to do the ch 1, turn, which created a little notch. So I just sewed the notch shut so it looked like the other side of his head. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. From one owl lover to another... There is a live streaming camera that features a great horned owl. Here is the link so you can watch! http://www.ustream.tv/okcowlcam Is there any chance you might come up with a pattern for a Great Horned Owl?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! Great horned owls are so beautiful.

    I'm planning on making every type of owl eventually, and the great horned owl is close to the top of the list. I'm trying to get the wings to open and close, but I haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it, yet. I may make Bubo (a great horned owl from Guardians of Ga'hoole) in the meantime, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your work is amazing. Thank you for sharing and for being so generous! I'm going to try to do the barn owl pattern when I feel a little more confident! God bless you!

      Delete
  19. Thank you so kindly. This amigurumi pattern is great and so are you for sharing it! Its pinned at http:///pinterest.com/butterflyfairy2 on -Plushies to Crochet- board.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this pattern ,thanks for taking time to share xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. §§HI... HOW big would the owl be if I used a 6.5mm and 5.5mm hook size? THX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure exactly how much, but it would defiantly be bigger. However, I wouldn’t recommend you use sizes that big unless you use thicker yarn- otherwise there will be big holes in between your sts.

      Delete
  22. The owl is lovely. Thank you so much for the pattern. I loved the movie and Soren was such a hero and this pattern / owl is so perfect. I hope you make an Eglantine (his sister owl) at some stage!!! There were one or two rows that did not seem right but I worked it out. Just wanted to ask - did you stuff the body at all. Yours seems fuller than just a crocheted body. Sue Johnston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL OF COURSE my dear...you can make him as fat as you desire.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Actually, you can probably make Eglantine using this pattern. You could use a smaller sized hook and (not too thick) fluffy yarn.
      And yes, I did stuff the body. I guess I thought it was obvious and forgot to put it in the pattern. Sorry! I'll have to put that in when I have the time to.

      Delete
  23. §§WELL...THEN...how thick should the yarn be? please hurry and answer this question...I need to start this owl ASAP...THX!!☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been crocheting for a few years, and types of yarn aren’t my strength. However, there is a list of yarn sizes at Wikipedia. And if that doesn't help you, then I suggest you play around with sizes and see what you like.

      Delete
  24. §§WELL...excuse me, but I cant help but think to myself that you are not the professional crocheter of this website?...correct me if I am wrong☺...SOOOO... I will just use what I have and hope for ze best...THX for ze help!☻♣♠♦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I really am the crocheter of this website. However, I wouldn't call myself a "professional" crocheter. I'm simply a young crocheter who would like to share her patterns with other crocheters.
      I hope your owl turns out nice! If you have any more questions, I'd love to help you in whatever way I can!

      Delete
  25. §§OOH...and also...how big is the finished product of this owl[inches]?THX!!☻♦◘○•♠

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm having trouble with the heart on the face. I'm not sure I understand the directions - with the SLST in particular. How does that work? Maybe I'll just have to sew it, I just don't understand how the to get the slip stitch started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you got confused with the directions; I was new to crocheting when I wrote this, and do things a lot differently now. I was trying to explain how to do the ch st by using a crochet hook; but now I know it is much easier to do with a yarn needle. So I would suggest you just use the ch st with a yarn needle (if you haven't already).

      Delete
  27. Row 19 does not make sense (sc in first 7sts, sk next st, sc in next 11 sts, sk next st, sc in last 2 sts) the last bit should be sc in last 7 sts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I'm missing 5st. Yes, I think the last part should be 7st instead of 2st. Thanks!

      Delete
  28. What row do you start the heart shaped for the face.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This seems a fantastic pattern - but I am having to write it down as the printed version was impossible to read due to the type colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to change the colors to black for a few days so you can print it, or are you already finished with it?

      Delete